Monday 21 March 2011

Sugar free Stewed Rhubarb

I love rhubarb and as soon as I saw some at the market I brought some..... but then I couldn't think how to cook it without sugar! So I experimented a little and came up with this recipe which tastes really nice. Lovely on it's own or just added to your muesli for breakfast. The bicarb tip I found in a World War II cook book and it works! It does fizz rather a lot but don't let it put you off!

Stewed Rhubarb
Ingredients
Approx 600g Rhubarb (four large stalks)
10 Pitted dates
100 ml Apple juice
1 tsp  Ground ginger
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
Recipe
1. Chop the rhubarb into approx 1 inch lengths and add to saucepan with apple juice and ground ginger.
2. Finely chop the dates and add to the pan.
3. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently until the rhubarb and dates have softened and disintegrated.
4. To neutralise the acidity (and reduce the need for sugar) stir in the bicarbonate of soda when the fruit is cooked. It will fizz a lot!
5. Eat hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment